Thursday, December 07, 2006

Deep Water Running: One Method of Cross-Training

With the cold winter, I have been looking for alternatives to running. While looking up information, I discovered water running. I have never heard about water running before today. It’s an interesting way to run.

When I first heard the term from Runner’s World, I pictured going to the swimming pool and trying to run in the kiddy pool…but I was mistaken. Water running is a low-impact way of running, involving floaters (or any object to keep you afloat) under your armpits. As you stay afloat, your legs move in a similar manner to running on the street.

AquaJogger offer a buoyancy belt to help keep you afloat, along with water shoes, water weights, and a video about water running for $89.95. I’ve never tried it, but it looks interesting.

I found an article about the benefits of water running, as well as good technique.

Benefits include:

  • Reduced stress on joints
  • Increased range of motion
  • Cardiovascular training
  • Strength training
  • Varied workouts

If you’re serious about trying this, it may be beneficial to read Elizabeth Quinn’s article “Benefits of Deep Water Running.”

No comments: